- India is a maritime nation strategically straddling the Indian Ocean with high stakes in substantive seaborne trade. The country’s economic well being is thus very closely linked to Indian Navy's ability to keep country's sea-lanes free and open at all times. Besides trade related benefits, security of our far lying island territories is of paramount importance and is an integral part of our maritime interests.
- Our island territories are situated away from the mainland at considerable distances. In order to ensure sustained development of these far-off places the umbilical linkages with the mainland and maritime security protection are essential prerequisites of our maritime security.
- Our offshore assets within the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of 2.02 million Sq. Kms, fisheries and deep sea interests, major and minor harbours and the overall seaward security of long coastline and island territories are other vital aspects of our maritime dimension and Navy’s responsibilities.
- Indian Navy has consciously taken the difficult route of indigenisation in consonance with the national endeavour towards self-reliance. Accordingly, the Navy has embarked upon a programme for indigenous construction of ships and development of major sub systems, sensors and weapon systems with the help of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Defence Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs).
- The Indian Navy is administered from Naval Headquarters, located at New Delhi. Operationally, the Indian Navy is organised into three Commands, which are:-
- HQ Western Naval Command, Mumbai
- HQ Eastern Naval Command, Visakhapatnam
- HQ Southern Naval Command, Kochi
- Besides the three Naval Commands, the Indian Navy is a part of Joint Defence Command at Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Considering the capabilities of Indian Naval Operations, its reach is multi- dimensional and extends into three spheres viz.
- Surface: Platform for operating Ships and other surface units
- Sub Surface: Platform for operating Submarines and other sub-surface units
- Aviation: Platform for operating Aircraft & Helicopters and other Air units
- Indian Navy personnel are broadly divided into following Branches:-
- For details please visit following websites of Indian Navy (IN):-